
We just got back from the vacation we vowed we wouldn't take this summer. If I remember correctly the conversation between Bill & I went a little something like this...
Me "Well atleast we'll save some money this summer, because there is NO WAY we are taking a vacation with a newborn."
Bill "Oh absolutely not. It would be a living hell"
Me "Could you even imagine? The mere thought of it makes me anxious!"
Fast forward a couple of months and were loading up the Volvo in preparation for a 9 hour drive up to Lake Chatauqua, NY for a family vacation. Never heard of it? You're not the only one. Our friend's the Gillespies own a beautiful lakefront home there and asked us to join them this summer. Considering the house is extremely kid friendly and we hardly ever get to see our friends Brian & Jen we took them up on the offer. It turns out this vacation that we swore we would never take turned out to be one of our best.
I have so many great memories from my childood and I want the same for our children. There were boat rides, Kayak rides, bonfires, smores, late nights lots of other kids to play with and naps on a hammock. This vacation was full of alot of "firsts" as well for the kids. Ryan and Brady caught their first fish and they saw their first fireworks (they weren't too crazy about this). Thankfully we had 2 sitters at our disposal as well as 2 sets of grandparents; This allowed us to go out sans kids for a drink or 2 and a little shopping here and there :)
Now I can't say that the drive up and back was a "pleasure" but I can say that the kids were pretty well behaved. Ryan was fantastic (thanks to the DVD players), Audrey barely cried at all and Brady only squeezed Audrey a couple of times.
For those that know me well, the fact that we took the vacation that we swore we wouldn't should come as no surprise. I tend to make quick sweeping statements and go back on them quite often. For example.......
"Another baby?? Oh hell no. 2 is more than enough for me! I just want to get on with my life and head into that next chapter; you know the one that doesn't involve getting up in the middle of the night every hour?"- I think we all know how this story ended :)
Me "Well atleast we'll save some money this summer, because there is NO WAY we are taking a vacation with a newborn."
Bill "Oh absolutely not. It would be a living hell"
Me "Could you even imagine? The mere thought of it makes me anxious!"
Fast forward a couple of months and were loading up the Volvo in preparation for a 9 hour drive up to Lake Chatauqua, NY for a family vacation. Never heard of it? You're not the only one. Our friend's the Gillespies own a beautiful lakefront home there and asked us to join them this summer. Considering the house is extremely kid friendly and we hardly ever get to see our friends Brian & Jen we took them up on the offer. It turns out this vacation that we swore we would never take turned out to be one of our best.
I have so many great memories from my childood and I want the same for our children. There were boat rides, Kayak rides, bonfires, smores, late nights lots of other kids to play with and naps on a hammock. This vacation was full of alot of "firsts" as well for the kids. Ryan and Brady caught their first fish and they saw their first fireworks (they weren't too crazy about this). Thankfully we had 2 sitters at our disposal as well as 2 sets of grandparents; This allowed us to go out sans kids for a drink or 2 and a little shopping here and there :)
Now I can't say that the drive up and back was a "pleasure" but I can say that the kids were pretty well behaved. Ryan was fantastic (thanks to the DVD players), Audrey barely cried at all and Brady only squeezed Audrey a couple of times.
For those that know me well, the fact that we took the vacation that we swore we wouldn't should come as no surprise. I tend to make quick sweeping statements and go back on them quite often. For example.......
"Another baby?? Oh hell no. 2 is more than enough for me! I just want to get on with my life and head into that next chapter; you know the one that doesn't involve getting up in the middle of the night every hour?"- I think we all know how this story ended :)
No comments:
Post a Comment